Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What do you think?


I always thought that the "leashes" they make for kids were so unusual, so cruel, so unnecessary. Then....I had a boy! I was at Babies R Us today and saw this "Kinderkord" product next to the leashes. It actually was developed by Joan Lunden who has two sets of twins ("Necessity is the mother of invention" is printed right on the box). I decided to buy it and try it out. I'm terrified though that the first time we use it in public we are going to get many disapproving stares from strangers. Stares that I'm sure I have given to many parents over the years when I've seen their children wearing the traditional kid leashes. How nieve I was!
This Kinderkord system has two wristbands, one for the parent and one for the child with a small retracting cord in between that extends to a maximum of 3 feet. It can easily be unlatched if we want to give him the freedom to go where he wants, but easily be latched again when it's not safe for him to wander.
We have gotten to the point that Wyatt knows how to wiggle out of any stroller harness, he knows how to wiggle out of the grocery cart harness, and he of course knows how to wiggle out of our arms if we try to carry him. Darn him being so smart!
I just thought I would see, have any of you every used a product like this? Did it help?

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

if i had seen kindercord with claire i would have purchased it. i actually purchased an old fashioned harness/leash but could never bring myself to put it on claire even though i was dying at stores. she too could get in and out of everything.

instead i suffered through it. had there been a wrist to wrist one i would have used it and suffered the glares of judging women and men because it wasn't worth chasing her and leaving jr in his seat, etc.

anyway, i too used to think leashes were appalling, until i had kids! now i understand them. i'd much rather keep my kids near me at crowded places than have them dart off to hide in the clothes racks!

good luck with your decision. oh, while i didn't use one i saw a lady going to a cards game and she was attached to her child. i asked her about it and she said she didn't go anywhere without it.

Jeremiah and Rebecca Morgan said...

Totally go for it. There is nothing more exhausting than chasing around a little boy who won't be contained. But in about a year (around 3) they seem to turn a corner where they develop some common sense for being out in public. They're a little more predictable and have the sense to stick with you. It's not entirely better, but you'll start to notice some improvement. Been there sista!

Cindy McDavitt said...

Grandma used one for Dwight. We were on a trip to Yellowstone. She could just envision him falling into one of the boiling ground pools. Foremost, it is for his safety. Go for it!

Matt, Rachel, Madden and Halle said...

I never had one but I wish I had. Just wait...next summer will be soooooooooooo much easier. Madden is a completely different kid now. I can actually let him walk in the store, sometimes. Forget the terrible twos! I think one was awful!