Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day at the Zoo



We rarely have a whole day that we get to spend together as a family, so on Monday, we decided to make good use of the holiday and went to the KC Zoo. Although we had a great time, every time I go there I am reminded of why I don't really like to go to our zoo. Having been to such wonderful zoos like the St. Louis zoo and the Omaha Zoo (both of which are top notch) the KC zoo pales in comparison. And SeaWorld....forget about it! Who can compete with that!? I think my biggest complaint (and I'm sure many of you who have been will agree) is ALL THE WALKING! I should have worn a pedometer, but I'm guessing we walked somthing like 10 miles. That's 10 miles of walking up and down hills in 90 degree Midwestern freaking humid heat! That's 10 miles while either pushing a double stroller with 80+ pounds of "kid" in it or pulling a wagon with 80+ pounds of "kid" in it. Not easy, and my body hurts today.




I'll stop being so negative now, because we did enjoy much of it. Saige and I got to ride a camel which we had never done before. And I'm pretty certain that Mariah and Micheala had never been to a zoo before, so they had a great time getting to see animals we had only read about in books. All in all it was a great day.



2 comments:

Matt, Rachel, Madden and Halle said...

I can't believe you rode a camel! That's so cool! Looks like a fun day. At least you got a good workout with all the walking!

Laura said...

I've heard great reviews about the KC zoo since it was re-vamped... but I haven't actually been, so I'm pretty bummed that the reviews don't hold up. You look like you had fun in the pictures though, so that's what counts for posterity, right?! :) I love the camel-- so awesome!