Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Isn't the rate of Autism climbing because we are more aware of it now?

I get this question A LOT. This graph shocks and horrifies me. It didn't transfer well, so here's the original link.
http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/science_news/top_ten_autism_research_events_2009_prevalence.php
In summary:
In 1975 1 in 5000 children diagnosed with Autism.
In 1985 1 in 2500
In 1995 1 in 500
In 2004 1 in 166
In 2009 1 in 110.

So the answer...yes and no. Yes some of the increase is due to changes in diagnostic criteria, better knowledge, and increased awareness. But in the last 5 years there has STILL been a 57% increase in incidence. Does this answer the question?


2 comments:

Anaise said...

Those are some crazy statistics!!!

Makes you wonder what we're doing to our world to affect our children so severely.

On the other hand, it also makes me wonder about all these "special spirits" (I know, crummy term, but I don't have another one to substitute) that are rendered completely innocent in a world of increasing wickedness.

Perhaps there is a purpose to this seemingly senseless and dramatic change.

Just Craptastic... said...

Amazing. I am almost speechless. But I also know that our Father in Heaven has a plan. I have great faith in that as I care for my children and help my son with Autism. Good luck!