Thursday, November 12, 2009

It finally happened!

Finally, finally, finally!

Early on after Wyatt was diagnosed, John made a comment about how Saige at about 18 months would run back and forth between us giving us big hugs every night before she went to bed. I had forgotten about that night time routine from days gone by. The comment he made was something to the effect that he was sad Wyatt wasn't doing the same.


Then.....it finally.....happened!!! Last night Saige, John and I were sitting in a circle on the floor. I would say, "Wyatt, give mama hugs." He would run to me and give me a big bear hug. John would say, "Wyatt, give dada hugs." Again, big bear hugs for dada. Then Saige, "Wyatt, give sissy hugs." Big bear hugs for Saige. It was an AWESOME moment. A milestone. Not the kind the doctor writes down in the chart....It truly is the small things that count.

I remember a line from one of Jenny McCarthy's books about her son that always stuck with me. (Probably because I cried like a baby when I read it). She said that the love her son gives her is "Louder than words".
It is true.

7 comments:

Cynthia McDavitt said...

What a great moment! And what a sweet picture of a very sweet boy! More and more, that sweet boy is coming out of whatever it is that obscures a child with Autism.

Jenika said...

Beautiful.

Anaise said...

Hooray!

Matt, Rachel, Madden and Halle said...

Congrats to all of you. What a special moment!!!

Valerie said...

It those things that make all the long hours you've spent working with him pay off! I'm so happy for you guys :)

Jeremiah and Rebecca Morgan said...

Very sweet.

The Van Hale Family said...

Awe! What a handsome little guy. He is so sweet and peaceful looking in this picture. Luv, Aunt Susan