Thursday, October 1, 2009

Super moms don't need sleep, but I do :(

I remember shortly after giving birth to Saige one of the nurses jokingly saying that she hoped I enjoyed my last night of good sleep for the next 18 years. I laughed, and being a new mom didn't think much of it. Now, I'm not saying I haven't slept through the night since becoming a mom 7 years ago, but you definitely sleep differently with little kids in the house. You definitely sleep differently when you hear one of those kids coughing all night long. You sleep differently when you just gave one of them tylenol and put them back to bed, but you don't know if their fever is going down or not. You sleep differently when you know one of them has had rough day and you wonder if they are sleeping or laying awake. You sleep differently when your mind is racing trying to plan out the schedule for the kids for the next day. And you definitely sleep differently when your almost 3 year old wakes up at 3 a.m. and decides to use your bed as a trampoline for the next 8 hours before he finally decides to crash. Bed time will come early tonight. Is 6:00 too early?

5 comments:

Cynthia McDavitt said...

Absolutely not! Hope you get to bed early and the kids cooperate!

Anaise said...

Ooooh, I'm sending sympathy vibes to you. I can count the number of times I've slept through the night in the past 9.5 years on one hand. You really have my sympathy!

Sam Ransom said...

I am with you on this! Having a sick household this week has made sleeping not so fun! I'm really dreading the new baby's sleeping habits as I remember the sleepless nights all to well!

WendyJ said...

I hear ya!! I wish I were one of those moms that could go on 2 hours of sleep and be happy, but I'm not. This too shall pass...right?

Unknown said...

I have never been one to do well without sleep. Having done kids and fevers and sickness and curfews now for 18 years, I've decided it's okay to sleep whenever you can. If that means going to bed at 6:00...that's what it means.
Let me know if you need some help with kids during the day so you can take a nap!