Monday, August 18, 2008

I probably shouldn't admit to this....

So....I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror at Wal-mart the other day...and to my dismay I was sporting the frumpy mom look waaaaayyyyy to much! Has anyone else had this experience. Here's my list of excuses:
1)I had had a long day.
2)I let my hair airdry (always a disaster).
3)Try putting make up on while your one year old is climbing all over you!
4) Wal-Mart has crappy mirrors!
5) I was doing laundry all day so who cares what I look like.
6) It's just been too long since my last haircut.
7) I was just too busy with the kids today and didn't have time for myself.

My point being that I could come up with a million excuses why it was okay to look frumpy, feel frumpy, and be frumpy that day...but really it comes down to taking some extra time for myself each and every day. Not that it matters what I look like, but when I do take that extra few minutes to make myself look presentable, I feel SOOOOO much better all day long. Am I alone in this?

5 comments:

Laura said...

No, you are not alone! My confession: I went through a frumpy mom phase last week... I didn't shower for two days until 5-o-clock at night. I didn't even wash my face or brush my teeth until then! And the only reason I even got in the shower at that point was because Peter would be home in an hour. My excuse: I wasn't going anywhere. But I learned the same thing you did... making time and taking the time for yourself just makes you feel better. We're worth it!

Rebecca said...

Stuart and I think it's a WalMart thing. Something about WalMart--you look or feel frumpy, lazy, tired, etc. And yes, WalMart has bad mirrors! (:

I too have been trying to make more of an effort to look decent when out with people I know. But I still let it slide when I'm headin' to WalMart.

Catherine said...

Dude, I NEVER care what I look like at Walmart! But then again, it takes something special these days to make me put on makeup or a decent outfit. Those things are reserved for Sundays!!!!! I'm probably a bad one to comment, here, because I truly AM lazy . . . and what's more? I don't care!!!!

Ok. I do care, but I tell MYSELF I don't care. But, yes, if I were to take that extra time, I'm sure I would appreciate it by feeling better about myself, and I'm sure people wouldn't wonder what's wrong with me and why do I look like a walking zombie all the time . . . sorry this is so long . . . Calgon take me away!!!!

Aaron and Melissa said...

You're so not alone in this! I think no matter what, we all get to this point at some time- I think it's a rule of being a stay at home mom! I have to force myself some days just to shower! (Gross, I know!!) I always have too much time between haircuts, too. In fact, on that note... do you know a good hairdresser? I haven't found one I like since I moved back here! I think the frumpiness gets worse the more kids you have, too :) That's my lousy excuse... I got more and more frumpy with each kid! I make myself do my hair/makeup if I go out with friends- even to our ward play date (when I go :) ) I just made myself a promise that I won't leave the house without 'fixing' myself up. It helps me during the week! If you need an excuse to get 'dressed up', call me and we'll take the kids out to lunch or something :)

Matt, Rachel, Madden and Halle said...

Definitely not alone! And the lighting at Wal-Mart does not help! I've entered the frumpy maternity phase. I usually stay in my jammies until lunch time and eat all day long. I'm also growing my hair out again so I can have the lazy pony tail. I'm making a conscious decision to be lazier with my hair, knowing that this decision will lead to more days in my sweat pants.