Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A bloody day...

Alright, I'm a nurse....I see blood on a very regular basis and it does not make me squirm, it does not make me nauseous, it does not make me freak out. BUT, when I see it dripping from my son's hand while he's holding a broken piece of glass I get a little freakish! Yes, you guessed it, another injury. Apparently Wyatt climbed up on our family room couch, and onto the ledge behind it, grabbed a framed picture of himself (of course), proceeded to break the glass, then play with it. I didn't even realize what was going on until I heard him scream. Try holding pressure on the hand of a one year old for 20 minutes! Not fun! I proceeded to call John at work, but he couldn't even hear me because of all the screaming, then called the doctor who told me to keep holding pressure and go to the ER if the bleeding doesn't stop. I'll spare you the rest of the details, but it was not the funnest day at the Carlson house. To all you moms out there who have boys, please tell me this will get better! We're considering putting him in a padded room until he's 18 (not really, but not a bad idea). I've decided that if we get him into adulthood alive and with all of his limbs still attached and functioning, then we've done a good job as parents. Are all boys this way or is Wyatt just extra mischievous? I was warned by many of you before having a boy that boys are very different from girls, but I wasn't quite expecting this. Don't get me wrong, he's a very sweet boy and we love him dearly, but oh my! In the end, the bleeding stopped, no stitches required, and we avoided an ER visit. Every table top picture frame in our house will now have to go into storage, but at least I have a blog now to display those pictures!

5 comments:

Matt, Rachel, Madden and Halle said...

I see your point with the padded room. At least they would be safe in one. My life has gotten much easier as Madden has gotten older. He can actually be trusted to play while I shower or cook dinner. I don't always have to worry that he's going to get hurt or burn my house down. Trust me...it will get better! I think you are in the middle of the worst stage!

Laura said...

my my! He does get into some pretty interesting situations. Boys definitely seem to be more curious about things... and girls seem fine with playing safely with dolls...or with ironing the carpet. :) I think all kids find some way to get at the best of parents. Being a kid is so much fun! :)

WendyJ said...

Abby, so good to hear from you. Looks like life is keeping you busy! We're now living in Seattle. We've been here about a month, and we're documenting our move on our blog. Your kids are so cute. I guess I'll never know about little boys, but my third has already had stitches and gets into situations my first two never did. Keep in touch.

Jeremiah and Rebecca Morgan said...

Oh yeah! They're trouble magnets!

Jaimie said...

Doesn't John already have a padded room in your house that he likes to call "his office"? Like father, like son. John was always trouble- still is.