Friday, March 19, 2010

So proud!

Saige came home from school one day this week and the following conversation ensued...

Saige: "Mom, I was telling my friend today that Wyatt gets speech therapy and she said that means he's dumb"
Me: "Really? What did you say to her?"
Saige: "I said that he's not dumb"

So then we had a talk about Wyatt's challenges, about not ever calling someone dumb or stupid or making fun of anyone that is different, about why kids sometimes make fun of other kids just to make themselves feel better, and of course we told her how proud we were of her for standing up for her brother.

The next day she came home and this is how our conversation went...

Saige: "Remember that girl that said that thing about Wyatt?" (gotta love the details an 8 year old gives you)
Me: "Yes"
Saige: "Well, I had a talk with her today"
(Oh boy)
Me: "What did you say?"
Saige: "Well, lots of stuff. I don't really remember." (Again, gotta love the details an 8 year old girls gives you)
Me: "Oh, well what did she say?"
Saige: "She apologized to me and said that she was sorry for calling my brother dumb."

I wish I had a few more of the details of the conversation, but I'm proud of her nonetheless for being such a great big sister and a great advocate for kids with challenges. Way to go Saige!

6 comments:

Brittany H. said...

I love it! Way to stand up for right, Saige!

Rebekah said...

That's so awesome! Saige is going great places with an attitude like that.

Cynthia McDavitt said...

Saige is definitely an awesome big sister! And what an opportunity for her to learn to help others!

Anaise said...

It hurts my heart that such moments are necessary for such small children, but Saige sure seems to be up to the challenge. What a wonderful big sister she is! What a blessing she is to her brother . . . and to the rest of the world as a result.

Matt, Rachel, Madden and Halle said...

Aw! She is an amazing big sister. I'm so proud of her!

WendyJ said...

She has a lot of courage to stand up for what's right. What a sweet daughter you have.