Friday, January 2, 2009

Kids say the darndest things

Saige has been cracking me up lately with some of her deep thoughts. This time of year, of course, they have mostly been focused on Santa. A few days before Christmas she said:
Saige: Mommy, I think Santa must have a dry erase board.
Me: Really, Why do you think that?
Saige: Because if you do something naughty, and you are on the naughty list, but then you do something nice, he needs to move you to the nice list!

Smart kid.

Then last night Saige and I went to go see Annie on Broadway at the Music Hall. It was a really fun night that started with Saige throwing a huge fit about having to wear a dress and tights (if you know Saige, you know this is not unusual), but ended with a lot of fun. We went out to eat together beforehand and this is how the conversation went:

Saige: Mom, I need to ask you a question that's a little bit hard to ask.
Me: Okay. (beads of sweat begin to form on my brow, I think, "Oh no, am I ready for THE TALK?" Could this possibly be the question she is asking?!)
Saige: If Santa leaves a kid a lump of coal in their stocking, that means they don't get any presents from Santa. But do they still get presents from their parents?
Me (to myself): sigh......whew.......I can answer this one.....

3 comments:

Sam Ransom said...

Oh that is awesome!! I would be worried too about what the question might be! So what a relief. How funny!

Unknown said...

She's throwing some deep ones at you right now. Hopefully the big one won't come up for awhile!

Matt, Rachel, Madden and Halle said...

Too funny! You better prep yourself for the big talk. It sounds like she's figuring things out!